Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Agoraphobia: Fear of the Unknown

When I first started having symptoms of agoraphobia I was totally in the dark and didn't know what was wrong with me. Like many people who first start experiencing panic attacks, I thought there was something wrong with my physical body. I thought something might be wrong with my heart or lungs because of the rapid hearbeat and smothering sensations that go along with hyperventilation during a panic attack.

The physical symptoms of panic and anxiety that are part of agoraphobia really scared me. I had one of my first major panic attacks during a class in high school and just thought I was getting really sick or something. When I went to a doctor and couldn't figure out what was wrong, I went back to school. That was because I had been feeling better while at home. When I went back to school, however, all the panic symptoms came back and I thought I was sick again. Since the doctor couldn't tell me what was wrong, I started to fear the unknown which only heightened the panic and anxiety.

Long story short, it took me about a year to figure out that I had a known psychological disorder called agoraphobia for which I could get help. During that year, I was terrified about what might be wrong with me and kept seeing doctors who couldn't help. Meanwhile, the agoraphobia fed off my fear of the unknown, took root in my life and built a strong foundation.

Needless to say, identifying your disorder is key if you have agoraphobia. It is much harder to overcome if you go a year in the dark like I did and let the fear build. In my next life I will be sure to know about agoraphobia before I get it so I can nip it in the bud. In this life, I guess I will just work at helping others gain an awareness, to try and save them the time and fear I went through during my dreadful first year with agoraphobia.

3 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

coach purses, nike free pas cher, air max pas cher, ralph lauren, hollister, polo ralph lauren, sac guess, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike tn, michael kors uk, sac hermes, air max, air max, nike roshe run pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors, coach outlet store online, longchamp, lululemon outlet online, north face, nike free, nike blazer, nike air force, replica handbags, michael kors pas cher, nike roshe, louboutin, nike air max, vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, converse pas cher, north face, mulberry, vans pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, sac burberry, ray ban pas cher, air jordan, hollister, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, abercrombie and fitch, hogan outlet, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley pas cher, new balance pas cher, timberland

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

rolex watches, ugg, canada goose, thomas sabo, sac louis vuitton, moncler, pandora charms, marc jacobs, moncler, louis vuitton uk, swarovski crystal, barbour, canada goose outlet, abercrombie, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, barbour, moncler, ugg, pandora charms, louis vuitton, links of london, converse shoes, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, moncler, wedding dresses, hollister, montre homme, moncler, canada goose, supra shoes, gucci, moncler outlet, ugg, toms shoes, juicy couture, moncler, ugg boots, canada goose, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, karen millen, air max, ray ban, coach outlet store online, converse, canada goose, sac louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, vans, sac lancel, moncler

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Mai said...

افراحي
تصوير مؤتمرات بالفجيرة
تصوير فيديوهات بالفجيرة

 

Post a Comment

<< Home