Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Thoughts of an Agoraphobic on Independence Day

I must admit that when I had agoraphobia, July 4th was not my favorite holiday. That's mainly because the thought of flashing bright lights in the sky followed by the sound of explosions didn't excite me in my overly-anxious state.

I hid in the house for at least two Fourths of July.

However, as I reflect on the Fourth of July that is coming up in a few days, I see it in a whole new way. As a recovered agoraphobic, I find inspiration from its themes of winning freedom and independence.

The Fourth of July is a time to celebrate the people who fought for our freedom and independence at all costs. They wouldn't settle for living their lives under an oppressive regime. Nobody offered them their freedom. Freedom was something they created for themselves.

That's how it was with my recovery from agoraphobia. Freedom was something I had to find for myself. It was a decision I made. I didn't find a magic pill or quick fix. I didn't wait for agoraphobia to go away on its own. I just decided that I could no longer live my life under its oppression.

You can make the same decision.

I can tell you from both experience and years of study that there is no easy way out of agoraphobia. The good news is, you can recover.

The journey to freedom from agoraphobia is often taken one hard step at a time. There may be setbacks and discouragements. There may be days when everything seems dark, and that you will never live a normal life free of anxiety again. I felt these things, and I am writing to tell you there is life on the other side.

I started the Agoraphobia Resource Center because I would like to be a partner in your journey to personal freedom. My goal is to improve the quality of life for people who suffer from agoraphobia.

As a recovered agoraphobic, I would like to bring you both information and inspiration to help you on your way to recovery.

I am still working on getting all of the information I would like posted on the site. I have shared my personal story with you in an e-book available in the resources section. Next, I am working on another e-book, "The Agoraphobia Treatment Guide" that will help you make informed decisions about your own recovery.

These things are just the beginning. If you have any ideas of how the needs of people suffering from agoraphobia could be better met online please let me know. You can email me any time at:
stephen@agoraphobia.ws

There is a link to the Agoraphobia Resource Center on the sidebar of this blog.

Here's to your freedom and independence. I wish you all my best this Fourth of July!

Sincerely,
Stephen A. Price
Recovered Agoraphobic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home