Sunday, March 12, 2006

Agoraphobia Strategy: Getting Your Imagination To Work For You

Most people with agoraphobia have a great imagination. People with agoraphobia are able to imagine the most terrible possibilities in any circumstance and their catastrophic imaginings are vivid enough to produce fear and panic.

One key to recovering for agoraphobia is getting your imagination to work hard for you instead of against you. The cognitive strategy that has been developed to do this is commonly called "positive visualization."

I turned a major corner in my recovery from agoraphobia when I could visualize situations that evoked pleasant emotions as clearly as I could visualize situations that evoked fear. Through practicing positive visualization at least twice per day, I put my creative powers to work for me.

I used the power of my imagination to help me in two ways. First, I used it to create a place of tranquility in my mind. I could always retreat to this place when I started to feel anxious or visualize something negative. Second, I used it to picture myself being calm while sitting in class among other students, going to the shopping mall, playing in school sports, or attending church again. These visualizations let me practice feeling calm in anxiety-producing situations without going anywhere.

Using my imagination in my favor, I was able to experience and feel as if I had recovered from the anxiety disorder in my mind before I actually did. Once I was able to feel and see recovery in my mind’s eye, my reality was soon transformed.

How can you create a private retreat in your mind?
Harry Truman once said, "I have a foxhole in my mind." This meant he had created an imaginary place where he could go to escape the pressures of the outside world. I read about this when I had my anxiety disorder and thought it was a great idea. I figured if this worked for the 33rd President of the United States, then it might work for me.

I used my imagination to create a secret place in my mind where only I would go. I carefully imagined what it might look like, and what sounds and smells I might experience there. Once I imagined this secret place in minute detail, I wrote out a script that described it. I recorded this script on tape so that I could either listen to it myself read it or have my mom read it to me. My script went something like this:

"Lie back, close your eyes and imagine you are entering a place of ultimate relaxation that no one knows about but you. You are walking along a dirt path in a forest beside a stream of cool running water. The water is clear and you can see the forms of rocks below the stream’s currents. Tall trees are all around you providing shade from the sunlight that peeks through their branches. You can hear birds chirping and see butterflies fluttering through the air.

After you walk for a while you stop to lie down in some grass by the stream. As you lie back in the grass you close your eyes and focus on the sound of water gently flowing by. The gurgling of the stream and the chirping of the birds brings you a deep sense of peace as you relax alone, surrounded by nature. You can also smell the fragrant aroma of the pine trees wafting trhough the air.

You don’t have to do anything or be anything here. No one will ask you to do anything or expect anything of you. In fact, no one will ever find you here. You are completely free to lie down and relax for as long as you want to stay here. You feel your body go limp as you lie on your back in the grass without a care in the world."

My script was actually longer than this but you get the idea. I shared this much to encourage you to write your own.

Your imaginary retreat doesn’t have to be in nature. It can be a palace on a cliff overlooking the ocean. It can be a monastery in the middle of the desert. It can be a warm, sunny day at the beach. It can be anything or any place you want it to be.

The important thing is that you create a place in your mind that you can visit any time just by closing your eyes. Then when you are in an anxiety-producing situation, you can close your eyes and take a trip to your personal place of tranquility.

Here are some things to remember when creating a secret, imaginary place in your mind:

1) Have fun with the process and enjoy yourself. Treat it like planning a real vacation.

2) Let your imagination run wild. Use your creativity to come up with a place that would feel the most iviting and relaxing to you.

3) Include details that involve all the senses if you can. Include, touch, taste, smell, sounds and sights.

4) Add as much description as possible to make it real. Use a thesaurus to come up with adjectives if you need to.

5) Make your script long enough to give your body time to get into a deep state of relaxation. You might want to create a script that takes at least 15 or twenty minutes if read slowly.

6) Record your script in a soft voice with relaxing music in the background. You might even ask a familiar person who has a voice that relaxes you to read it for you.

7) Include statements that suggest relaxation like "Your body feels calm and relaxed from head to toe" or "Here in this place, you have nothing to worry about, no one you have to please, and no obligations to fulfill."

Positive visualization works because our subconscious mind doesn’t always distinguish between the real and the imagined. Our thoughts and what we see in our minds has great influence on our emotional state, even if it is pure fantasy. Creating an inner life gives your mind a break from thinking about all of the stresses that may be bombarding you.

If you have agoraphobia, then you probably have a powerful imagination that will make it easy to imagine a secret place. Creating a private retreat in your mind will be the first step toward harnessing the power of your imagination and making it work for you in your recovery from agoraphobia.

7 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

coach purses, nike free pas cher, air max pas cher, ralph lauren, hollister, polo ralph lauren, sac guess, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike tn, michael kors uk, sac hermes, air max, air max, nike roshe run pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors, coach outlet store online, longchamp, lululemon outlet online, north face, nike free, nike blazer, nike air force, replica handbags, michael kors pas cher, nike roshe, louboutin, nike air max, vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, converse pas cher, north face, mulberry, vans pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, sac burberry, ray ban pas cher, air jordan, hollister, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, abercrombie and fitch, hogan outlet, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley pas cher, new balance pas cher, timberland

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors wallets
Michael Kors Factory Outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet online store 49.00 outlet
michael kors hamilton
jordans for sale
retro jordans
kd 7
lebron james shoes
cheap nike air max
nike air max 90
nike free 4.0
nike free run
christian louboutin boots
christian louboutin online
mbt usa
mbt shoes sale
fitflop sale
fitflops on sale
Nike Air Huaraches
Kobe 9 Elite
louboutin outlet
christian louboutin shoes
cheap jordans for sale
jordan 11 legend blue
jordans 2015
jordan shoes
coach outlet
coach outlet store online
kate spade outlet
kate spade new york

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160509
ray ban eyeglasses
toms wedges
michael kors outlet
rolex watches
ray ban outlet
concord 11
kate spade outlet
air jordan shoes
oakley vault
toms outlet
michael kors outlet
cheap louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet store online clearances
gucci outlet
louis vuitton outlet
timberlands
nfl jerseys
mont blanc pen
jordan 3 retro
coach factory outlet online
nike air max 90
louis vuitton purses
christian louboutin sale
rolex watches
cheap oakleys
oakley outlet
coach factory outlet online
michael kors
fit flops
replica rolex watches
coach outlet store online
michael kors outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
kate spade
nike air max uk
retro 11
cheap oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton purses
coach outlet store online clearances
vans sneakers

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger 柯云 said...

2016-05-28keyun
oakley sunglasses wholesale
louis vuitton outlet stores
longchamp handbags
michael kors outlet
kate spade handbags
hollister clothing store
toms outlet
true religion outlet online
jordan retro 4
louis vuitton outlet online
cheap toms
cheap ray ban sunglasses
coach factory outlet online
kd 7 shoes
jordan 3s
pandora jewelry
concords 11
coach outlet store
cheap rolex watches
oakley sunglasses
lebron 13
marc jacobs outlet
jordan 3 retro
oakley sunglasses wholesale
ray bans
nike outlet store
ray ban sunglasses uk
replica watches
michael kors bags
ralph lauren outlet
adidas originals
cheap oakleys
timberlands
louis vuitton bags
coach outlet online
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin outlet
michael kors outlet
cheap toms

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0608
prada handbags
adidas crazy
canada goose outlet
burberry outlet
lebron james shoes
polo ralph lauren
chopard jewelry
air jordan 3
oakley sunglasses
nba jerseys

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger AB78 said...

qzz0716
oakley sunglasses
76ers jerseys
soccer jerseys
mont blanc pens
nike presto
michael kors
fred perry polo shirts
oakley sunglasses
futbol baratas
canada goose outlet

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger John said...

adidas shoes
jordans
polo ralph lauren outlet
falcons jerseys
coach outlet store
givenchy handbags
moncler jacka
coach outlet online
gymshark sale
nike free flyknit
yolo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home