Sunday, March 12, 2006

Agoraphobia Strategy: Getting Your Imagination To Work For You Part 2

Besides dreaming up a secret place when I had agoraphobia, I used my imagination to create positive visualizations of myself being anxiety-free in real life.

I pictured myself sitting calmly in a classroom at school surrounded by other students. I saw myself coming up to bat in a baseball game and getting a game-winning hit. In the same way, I pictured myself shopping in the mall, sitting in church, or having fun with friends.

In each of these visualizations, I was careful to create added sensory details with my mind. I would not only see each image, but also hear it, smell it, and touch it.

For example, when I pictured myself sitting in the classroom, I saw the faces of the students around me and words written on the chalkboard. I heard the sound of my teacher’s voice as she gave the lecture. I felt the texture of the surface of the desk I sat in, and of the pages in my notebook. I felt the pen in my hand as I took notes. I spent time picturing each scene and let my mind fill in every detail I could think of.

Most importantly, I pictured myself sitting there in my desk calmly breathing, slowly and deeply, totally free of any worry or panic. In this way, I was able to experience the success of recovery and leading a normal, anxiety-free life before I actually recovered. The more I was able to see it in my mind, over and over, the more these images of success became a reality.

How to Pair Visualization with Relaxation Exercises

One of the more effective things I did was to pair visualization with my breathing and muscle relaxation techniques. Over time, this developed a mental association between positive mental imagery and a deep sense of calm in my body.

I started each relaxation session with deep breathing first. Then tensed and relaxed each muscle group until my body felt limp. Once my breathing was slow and deep and the tension in my muscles was released, I visualized myself at my secret place. This added a visual component to my relaxation response. Then whenever I started to feel anxious in public and said my cue word to trigger relaxation (see chapter seven), I could close my eyes and add a visual dimension. I did this by picturing my secret place which I had also learned to associate with a deep sense of calm.

Another way I used mental imagery was to visualize successes in real life while doing my relaxation routine. For example, I pictured myself being calm in public while doing deep breathing or muscle relaxation exercises. Then when I found myself in a setting that usually caused anxiety, like school, I associated that setting with deep relaxation after having pictured it so many times in my head when I was relaxing at home.

Practicing positive visualization, places I used to associate with panic became associated with deep experiences of peace and relaxation. Even though I only imagined these experiences of calmness and success, my mind started building positive associations related to places and situations I once feared. These new positive associations were as powerful as if I had experienced each imagined success in reality.

How to Put Together a Successful Visualization Program

Here’s a summary of how you can harness the powers of your imagination and make them work for you in your recovery from agoraphobia:

1) Develop a secret place and write out a script that you can record or have someone read to you. Then if you can’t find a place you feel safe and relaxed in real life, you will have one in your mind. You can always close your eyes and let your mind take you far away.

2) Practice positive visualization at least twice a day. Practice at least once in the morning and once in the evening before bed.

3) Combine positive visualizations of being calm in feared settings with deep breathing and muscle relaxation exercises. This way, positive visualization becomes part of your overall relaxation response and you can learn to visually associate relaxation with places you once feared.

I know from experience that if you can picture a new reality in your mind, you can eventually experience that reality in real life. Even if it feels like reversing the flow of a mighty river at first, by reversing the current of your creative powers to get them flowing in a positive direction, your imagination will become an asset for you in your recovery from agoraphobia.

3 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, air max, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, tiffany and co, gucci outlet, tiffany and co, louis vuitton handbags, replica watches, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, oakley sunglasses cheap, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, prada handbags, burberry outlet, louis vuitton outlet, burberry outlet, louboutin outlet, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet, rolex watches, louis vuitton outlet stores, ray ban sunglasses, nike shoes, air max, cheap uggs, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots clearance, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin, michael kors outlet online sale, ugg outlet, oakley sunglasses, uggs, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, polo ralph lauren

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

coach purses, nike free pas cher, air max pas cher, ralph lauren, hollister, polo ralph lauren, sac guess, true religion jeans, ray ban sunglasses, nike tn, michael kors uk, sac hermes, air max, air max, nike roshe run pas cher, true religion outlet, michael kors, coach outlet store online, longchamp, lululemon outlet online, north face, nike free, nike blazer, nike air force, replica handbags, michael kors pas cher, nike roshe, louboutin, nike air max, vanessa bruno, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, converse pas cher, north face, mulberry, vans pas cher, sac longchamp pas cher, sac burberry, ray ban pas cher, air jordan, hollister, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, abercrombie and fitch, hogan outlet, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley pas cher, new balance pas cher, timberland

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

rolex watches, ugg, canada goose, thomas sabo, sac louis vuitton, moncler, pandora charms, marc jacobs, moncler, louis vuitton uk, swarovski crystal, barbour, canada goose outlet, abercrombie, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, canada goose jackets, barbour, moncler, ugg, pandora charms, louis vuitton, links of london, converse shoes, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, moncler, wedding dresses, hollister, montre homme, moncler, canada goose, supra shoes, gucci, moncler outlet, ugg, toms shoes, juicy couture, moncler, ugg boots, canada goose, pandora jewelry, canada goose uk, karen millen, air max, ray ban, coach outlet store online, converse, canada goose, sac louis vuitton, ugg pas cher, vans, sac lancel, moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home